Thursday, September 2, 2010

Hope for the future

I'm still mulling over yesterday's scripture in John 2:13-25.  In this reading Jesus gives clear prophecy regarding His crucifixion and resurrection - "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."  Of course, those who heard Him did not understand at the time. 

As I read these words it occurs to me, Jesus new what was coming down the pike for Him.  He, being God, knew every rejection of His love, every dismissal of His power, every back alley conspiracy, and every lie told to destroy His ministry here on earth.  Jesus knew the heart of every man, woman, and child.  And He knows your heart and mine.  And He chose to go to the cross anyway.  Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  And vs. 10 continues, "For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life."

So here it is in a nutshell...  He died on the cross with full knowledge of what you and I would do with His gift.  Some have accepted it; others reject it. 

In His declaration, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." I find some of the greatest hope available to man.  Christ died for me, and He raised Himself up from the dead!  Praise God!  He is not dead... He's alive.  There is no other religious leader that can make that claim; all of them are dead.  Jesus is NOT.

Because He is alive, I have hope for the future.  You see, I believe in a God who is greater than all my problems and greater than all my fears (to quote a song from my childhood).  He has defeated sin and death, so why do I need to worry?  He is my hope for the future.  Praise God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment