Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Testify

In a court of law, witnesses are called to testify as to what they have seen or heard or know to be true.  I have been a witness and required to testify and found that the experience was not as exciting as you might imagine. 

As Christians we are also called to testify as to the active hand of God in our lives.  Unfortunately, we are not excited about what God has, is, and will do in our lives.  As I read John 1:14-34 today, I tried to put myself in his shoes and understand his testimony regarding Jesus Christ.

{My paraphrased version}
John, who do you think you are? ...some prophet like Elijah?  Well, spill it?

I am nobody, but I point the way to the Christ.  He has been right here and you've missed Him.  You know, when He comes I will fade back into the background.  He is more important than me.  Why aren't you asking who He is?  I'll tell you, He is God.  The Eternal One.  I've seen Him, and I tell you the truth, He is God.

Can you imagine the excitement running through John as He told everyone about Jesus.  He was privileged to point the way to Christ. Now, here's the kicker, you and I have the same privilege that John had.  We are to testify to the world and point them to our Savior Jesus Christ.  Of course, this means that we must seek God's involvement in our lives.  We have to open the door, get out of the way, and let Him sit in the driver's seat.

Jesus is our perfect example for how this is to work.  He submitted to the will of the Father.  He left heaven and came to earth as God incarnate (in the flesh).  He lived and died to offer you and I the gift of eternal life.  By the grace of God, we should testify every chance we get.

There's lots of excuses for staying quiet:
* What will people think of me?          * People won't listen to me.
* God has better speakers than me.   * I'm scared.
* I don't know what to say?                 * I'm not the type to share.        

Each of these are lies the devil uses to convince us not to talk to people about God.  You can chose to listen and be deceived or you can be strong in the Lord and step out in faith that God will give you the words to say and His witness to a lost and dying world.  The question is will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment