Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Getting Into God's Word

One of the hardest questions I had as a believer was, "Out of 66 books in the Bible, where do I start?"  This question is a common one and perhaps one you have asked yourself.  Whether you are new to the faith or a mature Christian take this word of advise that was given to me: "You can never go wrong with John."

The book of John was written by one of the disciples (followers) of Jesus Christ, for the expressed purpose "that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name." [John 20:31]

**  This is my prayer that this blog may point those who read it toward my Savior Jesus Christ. **

This morning I was reading in John, chapter 1, verses 1-13.

As John opens, He immediately points everyone to Christ.  You see, everything (yes, everything) points to Christ.  John clearly states that Christ is the Creator and Sustainer or all things.  vs. 3 - "Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made."  Take a moment and ponder that thought.  Jesus Christ, who created the stars and the planets and then hung them in space, created you and me.  Psalms 139 says, "You knit me together in my mother's womb."

That may shed some light into a life that feels unfulfilling.  You see, we were created for a purpose.  (A friend of mine said, "If you have a pulse, you have a purpose.")  And if you aren't living for Christ, you aren't living up to your full potential.  Even as a Christian, there are times when I chose to live the way I want rather than as God desires me to live.  This selfish behavior has been labeled -- SIN.

It is because of sin that man rejected Christ when He came and why they continue to reject Him today.  Sin is pleasurable for a season, but it will always take you further than you wanted to go, keep you longer than you wanted to stay, and cost you more than you wanted to pay.  That's the nature of sin.  Sin also causes a breach in our relationship with God. When Jesus, God's Son, came to earth He showed us what perfect harmony there can be for those who choose to obey God.  "If we confess your sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." [1 John 1:9].

There is so much more that could be said about this passage, but here is the main question I will leave you with:  Have you made the choice to follow Jesus?  How you answer this question will determine if you will reach your full potiential or not.

3 comments:

  1. Your typo is funny yet a good metaphor, Without Him (Hem:)we would surely unravel!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, one more. If a person has not made the decision to FOLLOW Christ they are indeed FALLOW!

    just doing my part brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rick. Maybe I should have you spell-check rather then the computer. lol. They are corrected now... Your comments however make a great point. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete