Monday, August 23, 2010

The Beginning

John said it best, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." [John 1:1]

I am not the Word nor am I anywhere close; but Lord willing, I am being conformed to His likeness more and more each day.  To accomplish this I have rewritten this verse (and don't be concerned that I am rewriting Scripture...) to focus my eyes on Jesus: 

"In the beginning of each day I will seek Jesus, He is with God and so He brings me into God's presence, He is God and therefore God is with me through the day."

That is my goal: to seek Jesus every day and to walk with Him throughout the day.  This is not a simple task, in fact, it is complex.  It requires that I lay down my wants and desires and choose rather to do as He directs.  I know this is the will of the Father.  The trouble is I have developed the habit of doing what I want, when I want to do it.  Each of us struggle with the same problem; its called sin.  Satan tries to capitalize on my weakness, tempting me to depart from the will of the Father.  But I can't say, "The devil made me do it!" because it is my choice.  That's right, sin is a choice.

Either I choose to follow Christ or I choose not to follow Him.  Left on my own I will fail every time, but thankfully, Christ offers us the strength to follow Him.  "Be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of His might." [Eph. 6:10]  So I am trusting Him to give me the strength.  Will you trust Him?

1 comment: