Sunday, October 21, 2012

Peaks and Valleys


 When I was 15 I got a summer job working at an amusement park similar to Six Flags.  I ran the Wobble Wheel.  It was a hyped up merry-go-round that tilted on its side.  Life is sometimes like that ride.  Day after day, we do the same old thing and every once and a while our world gets tilted and we get excited, but soon enough we’re back into the regular routine.

A few times, when staffing schedules required, I got bumped to the roller coasters.  Roller coasters are much different than the Wobble Wheel.  Instead of going around and around, you have this hill that you climb and at the top it’s exhilarating, and then you drop.  Some people like the drop, others prefer the hill.  Me, I enjoy the ride; beginning to end.

See, in order to safely make it through the twists and the turns, you have to begin at the top of the hill.  Not only is life like the wobble wheel, Its a lot like a roller coaster too.

 My recent trip to The Philippines was like climbing to the top of the hill.  In a way I would love to have stayed on top of the hill.  The ministry that is taking place with Children of Promise is incredible (next week Bob and I will share some of our experiences as well as what CoP is doing around the world); but my time there was brief.


Coming home I realize that there are valleys that I must travel through as well.  I could not have imagined the events of this past week, yet in this valley I am reminded not to trust in my own strength but that of the Lord

Some have expressed to me their desire to remain on the peak, but if you never experience the valley you can’t really appreciate the peak.

For the full message shared on 10-21-12 at First Church of God, Racine, WI go to: Peaks and Valleys

No comments:

Post a Comment