Monday, October 15, 2012

Mourning the Loss of a Friend

Steve and Nancy Case
This last week a very good friend and faithful servant of God went home to be with the Lord.

Someone asked me, "How do you go ahead and do church?  You can't do it the same as you normally would."  And they are right, but frankly I didn't have an answer.

As I prayed and sought advice from seasoned pastors and friends, one theme rang true; we are to worship God in spirit and in truth.

Truth be told, I didn't feel like praising God.  I felt like mourning.  I miss my friend and so do those that worship in this congregation.  We didn't get to say goodbye, we didn't get to prepare.  That is the way it is with accidents.

I was encouraged to read the account of Lazarus in John 11.  What I read brought clarity.  Mourning over the loss of a loved one is normal.  We each mourn in our own way.  But as we mourn we must also realize that death is not the end, it is the beginning.

Steve, just like every other Christ-follower, was an alien in this world; a sojourner.  Our time on earth is but a vapor.  His life and his death is a reminder of that fact.  But just as Lazarus' death was for the glory of God, so too was Steve's.  God is glorified when His faithful followers finish the race.  I'm sure Steve heard His Savior say, "Well done.  Enter into the rest of the Lord."

For the full message shared on 10-14-12 at First Church of God, Racine, WI go to:
Mourning the Loss of a Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment