Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Collision of Worlds


A COLLISION OF WORLDS (Originally written for "On safari with Children of promise")

by Pastor Ryan Reed
First Church of God
Racine, Wisconsin

Imagine hundreds of cars converging in one area at the same time . . . that is the Philippines.

Not only does that describe the traffic, but it also describes my experience here. 


 IMPACT.


One cannot come to The Philippines and not be impacted by the sights, sounds, tastes, and smells.  Much like two cars colliding, when my life collided with those served by Children of Promise here, I was a wreck.  Words cannot explain the enormity of extreme poverty in which these families exist.


Sometimes 'Home, Sweet Home' is reduced to 'Shelter, Sweet Shelter.'


"Some are barely getting by."

It is these families that are impacted when a child is sponsored.  Children stunted by poor nutrition are provided food which improves their health.  Those needing more extensive medical attention are provided the care necessary to lead a productive life.  Children also lacking the means to attend school are given that which they need.


But, most of all, these kids are taught spiritual truths that will impact their lives more just a sponsor could do.  After accepting the invitation to accompany the COP team, I decided it would be prudent to support a child.  I was provided the name of my child in the airport while waiting for our plane to The Philippines.
Her name is Shaira (Shy-ra).  From the beginning of the trip, I was looking forward to the day I would meet her.  


As we walked into the courtyard at the Das Marinas church on Saturday, I scanned the nametags looking for her name.  Unable to find her, my heart began to race.  I followed the kids into the church.  As they sat down, we entered, and were greeted with an enthusiastic "Good morning visitors."


CRASH - BANG - SMASH.


Many emotions collided within me when I saw Shaira sitting there in front of me.  As the kids sang, I could tell she wasn't as familiar with the song as others her age.  Later, she danced with some friends, and I could see she was a little more confident.


In a collision, there is the possibility of little to no damage, or completely totaling the vehicle. I was totalled when I finally got to visit with Shaira.


She was so quiet, so . . . . well,  SHY.  Her mother joined Shaira as I had the opportunity to tell her that I was her sponsor.  There was no jumping for joy, no hugs of gratitude, no great display of affection.  She simply said directly and sincerely, "Thank you, sir."  It was I who had to thank her.  Meeting Shaira and the other Children of Promise beneficiaries has impacted my life, and I will never be the same again!


                                Meeting Shaira and her mother at the Das Marinas Church of God


No comments:

Post a Comment