Monday, November 26, 2012

I AM the Way and theTruth and the Life




I'm curious.  What do you believe?  More specifically, in Whom do you believe?  There are many schools of thought regarding this topic.  Some encourage that you believe in yourself and your ability to do good.  Others espouse the idea of believing in karma, what goes around comes around.  There is even the idea to believe that the prayers of others will change your eternal destiny after you die.

It's important what you believe in this life because it does have bearing on your eternal destiny.  Jesus said it this way, 
 “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe  also in Me. 
In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; 
for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 
And you know the way where I am going.”  
John 14:1-4

It's a statement that says little but speaks volumes.  Believe that I AM.  That the Father sent me from heaven to "Seek and to save the lost."  That I have come to give you life, abundant and free.  I came to preach the gospel to the poor, to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free those who are oppressed, and to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord.  Believe in Me.

So simple, yet we try to complicate things.  Believe in Me -  Paul said it clearly, "if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." [Rom. 10:9].  Believe = have faith that I AM who I say that I am.

Of course, you may know folks who believe sincerely in something other than Jesus Christ.  Sincerity -  This is a great quality to have.  When people are disingenuous, deceptive, or hypocritical in the way they live, they are negative advertising.  But the sincere are not always right. 

Let me share an imperfect illustration:  I have been driving since I was very young having been taught on my grandfather's tractors, so I have great confidence in my driving skills.  I have lived in Kansas City (where there is frequent snow and ice storms which I have learned to navigate) and in Montana (where the snow falls in early Oct. and stays until April or later) so driving on snow packed roads really doesn't faze me.

Anyway, you could say that I was sincerely confident in my driving ability on evening as I was taking Kaitlyn out to work and see her horse.  (Some of you already know where this is heading, don't you)  Yep, my sincere confidence was tested while I was talking with Kaitlyn we came over a rise and hit some ice which impeded my ability to stop, turn, or anything else.  Sure enough, we sailed right through the corner and into the field beyond.  The snow was so deep it took some time to get out.  Needless to say, I was sincerely WRONG.

Friends, you and I come across people every day that are headed to hell, SINCERELY! 



For the full message shared on 11-18-12 at First Church of God, Racine, WI go to:

No comments:

Post a Comment