Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Don't Douse the Flame

There once was young man who came to know Christ and was on fire for God.  Everywhere he went he told people of the change in his life and how Christ could change their lives as well.  He would testify at school, at work, whenever and where ever he could.  Eventually folks at church began to talk.  Someone approached him, advising him to cool it.  Others chimed in saying he should be more like them, living the Christian life quietly.  Like water on a burning ember, they quickly doused the flame of evangelism.

As I read John 4:27-30 the word evangelism came to mind.  See this woman had just met Jesus, and when you meet Jesus you just can't keep it to yourself.

Jesus' disciples were testifying and were rebuked by the Pharisees to which Jesus replied, "I tell you , if these become silent, the stones will cry out!" (Luke 19:40)

Why is it we are so afraid to share the greatest treasure known to man with those in need?  Is it our greed?  Our pride?  Our fear?  Some of each?  Why do we find it necessary to quench the Spirit in those who are willing to speak out?  Maybe you haven't participated actively in harnessing the outspoken, but do you encourage them to be bold?  I haven't always done so.

As I write, I find myself convicted of not bearing witness to a lost and dying world.  I have been to consumed with pride, worrying about what others might think or say if I were to "be on fire for the Lord".  That is hard to admit as a preacher of the Word.  Oh, from the pulpit I can be bold, but in the world fear cripples me.

My prayer is to be able to declare as Paul did, "…I am not ashamed [of the gospel]; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day." (2 Tim. 1:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment